CSA Ocean Sciences Inc. (CSA) is a marine science and technical services consulting firm that provides a broad range of environmental, coastal, and oceanographic services in the U.S. and internationally. We are seeking a professional scientist ready to engage in a fast-paced, applied science role in the private sector. This person will be expected to provide customized, competitive, and high-quality services to industry, government and various private sector clients in a highly efficient manner while also adhering to the robust standards of a research scientist. Applicants should have completed an advanced degree (M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in the marine sciences (marine biology, marine ecology, biological oceanography, environmental chemistry, or related field). This position will be based out of the Stuart, FL office.
Position Summary: The successful applicant will be involved in all aspects of CSA projects including (but not limited to) project management, client interaction, survey design, statistical analysis, report writing, and report reviews. Demonstrated experience with ecological statistical methods and software is required. An understanding of field sampling in the marine environment is required. The successful applicant must have strong analytical, reviewing, and writing skills. An appreciation for integration of data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is highly preferred. This position requires periodic domestic and international travel, sometimes at short notice, during all times of the year, during both daytime and nighttime shifts if at sea, and potentially for prolonged periods (several weeks).
Responsibilities and Essential Functions: These include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the quality, validity, and accuracy of a project's science component;
- Developing and maintaining positive client interactions;
- Leading and/or participating in sampling surveys at domestic and international locations;
- Leading or contributing to the design, analysis, and reporting phases of projects;
- Leading and assisting with proposal efforts;
- Acting as a Project Manager on multiple active projects;
- Adhering to company standards and procedures for quality management;
- Performing science reviews of company products;
- Being accountable and responsible for personal safety and safety of others;
- Attending safety meetings and satisfactorily completing all assigned training as applicable;
- Supervision of staff; and
- Accepting other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree in marine science, marine biology, biological oceanography, environmental chemistry, or a related field;
- Experience leading and/or managing field-based projects (minimum of 3 years’ experience at the M.Sc. level or 1 year at the Ph.D. level);
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, statistical analysis, and communication skills (a writing sample will be requested of finalists);
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a close-knit team;
- Experience with sampling and working on vessels (small or large);
- Experience leading the development of (successful) scientific funding proposals;
- Strong working knowledge of computers and standard Microsoft software packages including word processing skills;
- Experience with statistical methods and packages (e.g., R, SAS).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Familiarity with deep water offshore environments;
- Experience in vessel mobilization, demobilization, operation, handling, and/or navigation;
- SCUBA open water certification;
- Experience with operation of survey and environmental sampling equipment;
- Leadership and/or management training;
- Safety and environmental hazard training;
- Understanding of data integration using Geographic Information Systems (GIS); and
- Spanish and/or French language skills.
CSA Ocean Sciences Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, or disabled status. EOE/Vet/Disability
- Applicants must possess current, long-term authorization to work in the United States;
- CSA is unable to initiate visa sponsorship
- Letters of Recommendation will be required